Sunday, May 13, 2012

WCIN on Mothers Days


An old WCIN 1480
Transistor Radio

Just flashing back on how the radio station would treat such a special day....It goes without saying that every shift would be playing, at least twice, "I'll always love my momma", by the Intruders. Rev. Swanson would start the morning off reminding everyone that this coming Sunday...cause it would be a friday...and the spiritual obligations of us all to honor our mothers. I know that when I did the morning show...with different partners...we would always reflect on our youth and the positive influences that our mothers had on us. I'll tell you..the funniest thing I remember regarding morning show Mothers Day antics came from my partner Fredd E. Redd. This one year he told me and the audience that he was not going to get his mother a card, but was going to Walgreens, which was a couple doors up on Reading Rd., and pick out a card for his mom...but set it in a certain place in the rack and have her go to Walgreens and find the card and then tell her that's the card he would love for her to have...it was hilarious..and callers had some very interesting comments for Fredd.
....Yes, Mothers Day celebrations on Classic Oldies 1480WCIN were great! The listeners would also get a chance to get involved by calling in and saying something special about their mothers. That kind of positive interaction with the community is one of the things that I miss the most about us not having WCIN as a platform for this special segment of Cincinnati.
...Today, I tried to text a Happy Mothers Day wish to an old friend only to find out that it belonged to someone else. The person asked me who I was and I wondered "had it been that long since we talked that she didn't remember me"...I didn't want to believe it. She asked me if I was someone else and I told her that I was Everett Cork (Did I have to give my whole name..it really must have been a long time since we chatted).  Then the revelation that maybe I had reached the new owner of that number. I apologized for the disturbance...but she said it was fine because she listened to WCIN while she was growing up and she enjoyed that time and that the "accidental call" was fine and she was a 47 year old grandmother who remembered that Peabo Bryson and I resembled each other. She said the mistake..."made her day"..which actually made mine cause she said she couldn't wait to tell her sisters. I wished her a Happy Mothers Day..I directed her to this blog and hopefully she'll remain "tuned in" as I bring the old sounds and updates on the old jocks whereabouts and what they are up to today...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog welcomes comments from those who visit, so feel free to do so! Go to the drop-down box and select "Name" and put your name there!!